Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Blog for one or blog for all?

Browsing other blogs on the 20sb network--and being unimpressed by some of them--got me thinking:

Should I blog for myself--as I largely have been--or should I blog for a community that has yet to take shape?

I DO NOT BLOG TO GET READERS--rather, I envision being in constant discussion with other curious, serious people and that's what I feel I haven't yet achieved. The purpose of this blog was to connect with other bloggers, but I'm really struggling with making that happen for a few reasons.

1. Bloggers are self-centered. They live for comments and self-validation but don't like to spend a lot of time giving shape to other bloggers' muck by way of feedback. I started this blog determined to be different, but networking with other bloggers can be tiresome until you've honed in on the few with common interests. I've found a few blogs that I genuinely enjoy reading--on these I comment and express genuine adoration. But they are operated by people who either get too many readers to care about connecting with me or have completely different subject interests.

2. My blog is boring. I don't mean that to provoke self-validating comments--trust me, I don't need to feel any more special than I already do. But I don't have any clear "hook" that would bring people back here unless they know me. I think my lack of readers comes from a lack of focus for the blog as a whole. I started off wanting to talk about politics a ton more, but I've been gravitating to personal issues because that's my main worry in life right now. Which brings me to my third point...

3. Personal issues are difficult for unknown bloggers to muster up a following around unless they're REALLY niche and resonate with readers in the same position--like abuse or weight-loss. I'm in a community of 20 somethings struggling with the same issues, but we all have extremely different ways of approaching our identity issues. It's staggeringly difficult to build a community around an issue as vague as launching into adulthood.


The only way I can make this blog do what I want it to do is if I unapologetically be myself. I have to blog for myself and risk boring everyone who doesn't know me so that I can at least find my voice. That will eventually help me find what I want to discover about the world. So to all bloggers who feel guilty about being self-centered, boring, or are wallowing in self-pity for not having followers: fuck it. You're here for yourself. This is your space to stutter and drone until you sing with a clear voice. Don't worry about the rest--just let it happen.

4 comments:

  1. A couple of things.

    Firstly, I agree on point 1. But don't generalise. True, a majority of them fit the description. But it's about trawling through hundreds to find a handful. And it's probably worth it.

    Also, your last para truly sums it up. It *is* about finding yourself. But sometimes, you might feel demotivated. In that case, maybe you could try a completely new approach to writing. It helps =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started as a "blog for one." That was three and a half years ago. I made friends, I went to meetups, I found a community and a core base of readers. Now I still blog for me, but I keep them in mind. It doesn't help that my mom and my professors read, so I do err on the side of professional rather than too personal.

    That said, I think my blog is totally boring and I really don't think I have any sort of hook, either. It took time to reach out and connect with readers to build my base.

    ReplyDelete
  3. See, look at how many comments you have on a single blog post. And you call yourself boring and unable to connect. Apparently blogging problems is an off 20 something niche that happens to resonate with your readers, that is, other bloggers. Now MY writing is boring. I've almost completely stopped posting blogs unless I have pictures to go with it that will catch a readers eye. I take all my own pictures, but even adding a generic picture to your posts would help engage your readers.

    And you're right about commenting. I never search out new blogs; I'll only really check out a stranger's blog if they comment or follow me first. Remember to be bold with your writing. Write things that people will disagree with and they will respond. Ignite passions and don't be afraid to challenge or offend your exclusively online friends and connections. It isn't like you'll ever see them anyways.

    Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete